So, you got your surgery date and you are ready to go. Here is a list of what I would take to the hospital. Consider I have already been to the hospital and took much more than I needed.
1. A robe. I took my own gowns but never used them. The gowns in the bariatric unit are ample size. I felt very hot and having to get up and down a lot to do my walking was uncomfortable. The hospital gowns were cooler, and I felt cleaner.
3. pads (most women get their period right after surgery)
4. toothbrush & toothpaste
5. Sugarfree breathmints
6. Lip gloss (very dry mouth)
7. baby wipes (helps to freshen up) (flushable type)
8. hair brush
9. a book
10. a small fan (you will be hot, very hot - I don't know why but it happens)
11. Something loose to wear home (you'll probably have a binder around your belly)
12. slip on shoes
Finally, tongs or a long handle wooden spoon.
It is hard for obese people to clean themselves after a bowel movement. It is especially hard if you have a long cut in the stomach area and are wearing a binder. The nurses will help if you want, but most of us do not want that. Practice before you go and find a way that is comfortable. I found a wooden spoon with some baby wipes around the end that are flushable did the trick. Don't worry this is common and in a few weeks you will never have to worry about that again.